C&S Flangers

Greetings,

Jim's recent post of the folio sheet of Flangers #013-016 reminded me that I had long put off building another flanger. Back in the '80's, I built a flanger with the encouragement of my old friend Paul Schenk, who had built one in HOn3. He had used parts from a Durango Press RGS Flanger kit and had built a new frame using dimensions from that C&S Folio sheet.

I had good luck with it, and had later sold it to Rob Smith, where it still resides.

Since Rob has #016, I thought it would be good to build another one of the flangers, and it would be interesting if it could be the one that was involved in the 1936 wreck on Boreas since I have the two locomotives that were involved.

For a long time, I had imagined that #013 was the one in the wreck, because there are photos of it in Leadville without a blade. I had naturally assumed that it was simply not rebuilt after having been wrecked.

This morning I checked the roster in the Volume VIII Pictorial, and was somewhat surprised to learn that of the four flangers the C&S had, only #015 was in use after 1934. Turns out that #013 was refitted for use as a dual guage Idler Car at Leadville in 1934, which explains the full decking over the body, and the addition of heavier end beams.  #014 was out of service after 1911, and #016 was dismantled in 1926.

So the new flanger will be #015, and was in fact the one involved in the 1936 wreck.

I have attached a photo of #016, which is pictured on Rob's layout. It has a few compromises, but turned out (I think) to be a pretty good stand in for a C&S Flanger. There is also a couple other photos that show it in more detail.

The new flanger will be built using parts from Keith Wiseman's "reissue" Durango Press RGS On3 kit, which, thankfully, has white metal castings from the original.

Flanger #016

Flanger #016 Detail

#016 Detail b

#016 Detail b

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-Flangers-tp3884.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: C&S Flangers

You da MAN, Rick!

I see that Rio Grande Models has a D&RGW kit in S scale too.

While I have a D&RGW flanger model that will stand in nicely on the Number 2 track radiating from the Leadville turntable, perhaps I should invest in Eric Bracher's kit and follow your lead and do it right?

Re: C&S Flangers

Thanks Robert and Keith.

Keith, the RGS Flanger #01 is probably a better starting point as far as the blade, mechanism and trucks are concerned.

You'll have to make an entire new body. If you are interested, I can post a list of lumber dimensions that I'm using. I'll take pictures through the process. I can also provide other dimensions as it comes together. If interested, just say the word.

You'll also want to take another look at the pics of #013 without the blade, as it was the Leadville Idler after 1934. The one pic in Volume VIII is pretty interesting, now that we know what we're looking at. I think Mal has another photo of it in his book "C&S ng".

And, who know what Chris will find. Chris?

Re: C&S Flangers

Keith Hayes
Mike:

I look forward to your posts. Rio Grande only offers the D&RGW prototype. If nothing else it provides an inspirational springboard for the project. An idea how someone else puts it together so I can follow.

Carry on!

Re: C&S Flangers

Robert McFarland
Bogies &Loop April2013 p16-18 has an article on the building of C&S 015 compete with photographs and references.

Re: C&S Flangers

Chris Walker
Mike,

the only decent Flanger pic on the C&S that I can think of was by Bob Richardson and taken at Leadville in the later years after it was sg-ed, so not really worth posting, unless you need some frame details.  You could ask Mal Ferrell if he would be kind enough to post the RB Jackson picture of 015 that he included in C&Sng.

Re: C&S Flangers

Chris, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, please post the SG pic, or provide a link.

After all, everything matters when it comes to this stuff!

Thanks.

Re: C&S Flangers

Mike,

Please document the construction of your new C&S flanger!  I'm sure Darel would love to have it for a blog post.

Beautiful model building indeed!

Hmm, I wonder if I could strip and trash a PBL Sn3 RGS flanger 01 and turn the parts into a C&S flanger??  After all, a kit is a bunch of parts waiting to be built--I guess a finished brass model could be reduced to its parts, if I ever got up the nerve.  I am much more proficient at un-soldering than soldering!

Re: C&S Flangers

Robert McFarland
Andrew Dodge and Juan Carlos Zuloaga would approve  that idea.

Re: C&S Flangers

Re: C&S Flangers

Todd Hackett
This is a bit earlier - DL&G 03 (later C&S 013) at Hancock in the '90s.

Re: C&S Flangers

Todd Hackett
Another old one, this time a TOC view of C&S 08 (later 016) at Washington Spur.

Re: C&S Flangers

Robert McFarland
Check out DPL photo OP-6191.

Re: C&S Flangers

Jerry Day
Not sure which flanger

Buena Vista 1916

One day this week, the flanger, being used by the C. & S, to clear the rails of ice and snow, became detached from the train owing; to a defective coupling, at the St . Elmo water tank, and started off down the grade. The car kept the rails for about two miles, and is estimated to-have gained a speed of at least seventy-five miles. On a sharp curve, it jumped the track, and plunged into the bank, completely clearing the right-of-way, and did not injure the track one bit.

Re: C&S Flangers

Jerry Day
The flanger at Leadville (still there) in Richardson's photo is ex-D&RGW standard gauge flanger 063. The D&RGW based it in Leadville to keep the line to Malta clear and occasional use on Tennessee Pass. They sold it to the C&S in 1975 but it has never been used since. The LC&S removed the railings and painted it but it is in bad shape. The Heber Railroad expressed interest in purchasing it but the LC&S refused to talk to them.

First photo was taken in September 1971 and second in September 2008.

Jerry Day

Re: C&S Flangers

Jeff Young
Hi Jerry,

Great to see you on this site.  Fine bunch of folks here....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: C&S Flangers

Jerry Day
Does seem a good place, no politics and insults like a discussion group we both know.

Re: C&S Flangers

Jim Courtney
We occasional discuss social issues of Colorado's distant past, but generally just share thoughts and info about South Park, Colorado Central and C&S trains.

And with each post I generally learn something new, like all about D&RG rotaries.

Welcome to "Roper's Doghouse", as we like to call it.

Jim