C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

chtrout
This post was updated on .
Colorado and Southern Rwy "police badge"

■   I just recently acquired this "Colorado Southern Special Police" badge.   Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is authentic?   I thought it was unusual in that there is no form of "makers mark" on the reverse.   If it is authentic, any ideas on a possible date?
Craig H. Trout

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

David Fromm
Hmm… not sure it is authentic  but at least they got the RWY portion right.  I’ve seen too many so called C&S items with “railroad” as part of the name.  C&S was never a “railroad”, it was always C&S Railway.
This badge is quite unique and I’ve never seen one.  The Police portion as far as the font goes would indicate late 1800’s or very early 1900’s.

David Fromm
Seattle

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

chtrout
For some reason, the photo came out with a "goldish" tint.  The badge is actually silver-colored.  The inset appears to be enamel with a silver "police" inlay.
Craig H. Trout

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Dave, I think it was "Railroad" for a short time. I think it was "RWY" for a short time maybe before that. And later, "Ry".

Mike

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Chris Walker
Colorado & Southern Railroad during the USRA period, Mike.

The lack of an Ampersand and most unusual abr. of Railway; usually Ry. is sticking out; so far I can't put my hands on an image or paperwork showing Rwy.

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Thanks, Chris!

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

chtrout
C&S Token with Indian Head Penny Inlay

■  This is an interesting example of a 1901 "Indian Head" penny pressed into a silver token labeled "The Colorado and Southern Ry Colorado for Wealth Climate and Scenery."  The token is also decorated with a four-leaf clover implying that this advertising item was intended as a "lucky charm."

–   Does anyone know how these promotional items were given out?   Was it part of an advertising campaign for special excursions and such?

Source: Craig H. Trout Collection, please credit
Craig H. Trout

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Richard Farmer
C&S hat badge
Found on eBay. I have no information on this hat badge but I’m guessing it’s from the late steam era standard gauge passenger service.
Any information would be appreciated.
Richard Farmer

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Hi Richard, I grew up in Boulder and as a boy knew a lot of the railroaders in the late days of steam, and rode the passenger train that ran between Billings and Denver many times until it was discontinued.

I have never seen a hat badge like you have but I think it dates way back further than those days. The period behind the C&S RY. probably goes back to about 1910 would be my guess, similar to the early way the official insignia was done on documents, rolling stock, etc. If it was used in passenger service, and it may well have been, the hat would have been dark blue or black, and very much like trainmen wore in the last days, except without the "Burlington Route" logo the "Q" required. Even in the 30's, Passenger trainmen wore dark blue hats with patent leather bills and the Burlington heralds. Identical to what I remember in the 60's. I have never seen a hat badge on a freight brakeman. A conductor, maybe, but not a brakeman. That's why I think yours likely dates back to pre-"Q" C&S passenger days. A very fine find!

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Richard Farmer
Hi Mike
Thanks for the hat badge info.
After reading your post regarding hat badges I found a hat with a brakeman badge on an auction site. It was just as you described and I have seen this style of hat lots of times. Shiny brim, ventilation holes around the head band and a flat military style top. Certainly used in passenger service and a very stylish hat.
Thanks for the info.
Richard

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Jimmy Blouch
While not C&S and not NG this may be of some interest.
Jimmy

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Interesting, Jimmy. And again, lots of periods indicating similar timeframe. Thanks!

Re: C&S Badges, Buttons, Fobbs, and such...

Jeff Osborne
I highly suspect that this is not an authentic railroad police badge. These are easily faked to make them look authentic. The lack of a maker/manufacturer mark is a red flag. Also, it shows no sign of wear for being a "period" piece and it is polished/cleaned.

Here's a link for more info on fake badges:  http://www.railroadiana.org/fakes/pgFakes_Badges.php
Jeff