C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
This post was updated on .
I thought I'd share a few pics of my 8 month long project for this past year. With the help of my great friend Mike Trent, I extensively rebuilt an On3 Sunset Models #74. The model has working headlight, and marker lights which were installed along with PFM sound by Randy Lee of GME. The first thing I did was take a Atlas snap saw to the top of the sand dome, and torch off nearly all the external details. The tender was chopped in two down the middle, and completely rebuilt, and narrowed. Many details replaced, and added. The only thing I have yet to do is install a glass lens for the headlight, and find a competent crew.

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner

Re: C&S #74

Gavin Hince
That's a really neat model Tim. I had some trouble tracking down MV Products headlight lenses. It seems these have been sporadic over recent years, and many dealers don't have stock. I did locate a good source on eBay, who offer a wide range and post promptly. Hope this helps make the finishing touches to your fine loco!

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
I have made my own, and plan on making one for her using clear styrene. I have one of GME's reflectors in the headlight now, which reflect very brightly.

Re: C&S #74

You can find a good picture of her two sisters during DB&W days pulling a train on the DPL Digital-photo K-217.

Re: C&S #74

Darel Leedy
Very Nice Tim! And with Mike helping I am sure it is very accurate. You should let him know that you posted pictures of it here so he'd have to come and see them. He may be busy working on his layout though. He told me he has been.

Darel

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
I told Mike about this forum. He's been finishing up his #75.

Re: C&S #74

Derrell Poole
You can make lenses out of real glass with a drafter's circle template and a sharp carbide scribe.

Re: C&S #74

Tim--a great model.

When PBL imported the B-4-Fs, I ordered 75.

The Three Amigos
The Three Amigos

Subsequently, I was able to pick up both 74 and 76 second hand from others. 7th Street Shops installed the DCC in 74, and it is currently a favorite on the layout. Derrell noted that PBL imported 74 with markers that are more correct for the RGS than the C&S. Also, there is something funky on all three models about the tube descending from the spark arrestor: it looks crowded between the bell and stack compared to prototype photos.

Though I think these locos are true C&S engines (7th Street serviced them starting early in their careers), others on the forum may observe that they are, "not really C&S locos." They have a Ridgeway spark arrestor, and that counts for me.

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
being born in Boulder, she was the first steam locomotive I ever saw. Also having lived as a child in Nederland, the C&N has a special place in my heart. This photo was taken when I was 15, or 16 after her cosmetic restoration by members of the Boulder Model RR Club.

Re: C&S #74

Derrell Poole
Like the 14th, 16th and 17th Amendments to the Constitution, 74, 75, and 76 were part of the C&S; They were there but they defy the very spirit to which they are associated. (Eh-hmmmm...) Too big and too late. Naturally that wasn't the opinion of the Railroad whose purpose was to make money - and they were in dire need of efficient motive power (desperate, in other words...). But the aficionado of the Railroad (at least this one) is most keenly interested in the nostalgia - that spirit which haunts us.

Enjoy your models - very nice in either scale.

Derrell

Re: C&S #74

Keith Hayes
For those new to the Colorado & Southern narrow gauge, you can read Mike Trent's thorough history of C&N 74/ DB&W 30/ C&S 74/ RGS 74 here:

http://www.riograndesouthern.com/RGSTechPages/_bdwhite/rgstec7.htm.

A couple interesting tidbits relate to the high center of gravity of these locomotives, their superior tractive effort, and a long description about the purchase by the RGS. At 21,170 lbs of tractive effort, these were large narrow gauge locomotives!

Enjoy!

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
It is definitely a great read! Mike is probably the most knowledgeable person on the three sisters.

Re: C&S #74

DRGWK37
Tim

I'm also an On3 guy--but doing a Gunnison-Salida layout focused on that other RR.  I may have some questions in regards to layout techniques--this is my first solo layout.  Nice looking model and very well done, nice to find a place to discuss NG even if it's not D&RGW--hope to learn some C&S history.  Also, nice to see and appreciate great modeling--looks like a lot of folks here are very talented.  I've attached a pic of my second ever scratch build of two On3 6200 flat cars for fun.  Thanks and look forward to good future discussions.

William
aka drgwk37

Re: C&S #74

DRGWK37
Ok I suppose I can make the image just a tad bigger.

Willliam
aka drgwk37

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
Feel free to ask any question. Btw nice flat cars.

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
I figured people would like to see what the first step in this project looked like.

Re: C&S #74

Tim Schreiner
Tender after taking a Dremel with a cutoff disk to it.

Re: C&S #74

Ouch.