Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Kurt Maechner
I found that C&S Reefer 1113 went to the Rio Grande Southern, but then was purchased by Bob Richardson in 1951, but he later sold it in the late 1950s (along with RGS engine 42) to the Magic Mountain amusement park in Golden for their use on a short lived theme park train.  It later (1981?-that's when RGS 42 was sold to someone from the reincarnation of Magic Mountain called Heritage Square) went to the Sundown & Southern and then in 2002 was bought at the S&S auction by the Colorado Railroad Museum.

I'm trying to understand why Bob would buy the reefer and then sell it?  Does anyone know?  My only guess is that they paid him a good amount of money which I'm sure was needed in the early years of CRRM.

Just curious if anyone else knows.

Kurt

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Seems to me the #1113 was set out on display for many years in Ridgway. I remember taking pictures of it in the 60's and '70's. That was after the demise of operations at Magic Mountain, but I don't have any idea if it had ever been there or not. I'm sure it was out sitting by itself in Ridgway, though. And looked like it had been there a long time.

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Kurt Maechner
This post was updated on .
I have seen references that it was sitting at Ridgway in 1950.
I found the following in a 1992 Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette article. (RGS numbers are used here).

“Bob Richardson, formerly of the Colorado Railroad Museum purchased 2102 in 1951.  It was eventually sold to Magic Mountain in Golden, Colorado, and modified to a chair car.  The Magic Mountain opened in 1961 [Another site gives 1959 instead], and later became Heritage Square. ”

I found the following on http://www.rgsrr.com/rgs/tline4.html
1954: By this year, the Bob Richardson's Narrow Gauge Motel in Alamosa, CO had aquired the following RGS equipment: RGS 20, business car Rico (both owned by the Rocky Mtn RR Club), Goose 2, RGS 42, RGS box/outfit 8714, reefer/outfit 2102, box 1789, stock 7302, and cabooses 0404 and 0409. Here's 0404 after it arrived in Alamosa in 1953

Most of this went with Bob when he founded the CO RR Museum in Golden,CO in 19--, but RGS 42, boxcars 2102 and 8714, and caboose 0409 were sold to Magic Mountain (later Heritage Square), an amusement park in Golden CO, which opened its train ride on July 3rd, 1959. 0409 was rebuilt shortly afterwards.

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Kurt Maechner
It seems that RGS 2101 (not 2102) was at Ridgway.  Here is a photo from 1962 credited to Bob Richardson:

http://www.propetsciences.com/norm/rr/1113/index.html
Maybe I'm mixing things up.  Did both RGS 2101 and 2102 survive?  And which one was C&S 1113?  It appears that it was 2101 according to this photo:

So what happened to 2102?
Sorry, I'm getting more mixed up than I expected.

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Kurt Maechner
Ok, I may be figuring a little bit out.
I was mixing up two different cars' history thinking they were one and the same car.

According to this site: http://www.rgsrr.com/rgs/stock.html
2102 did survive and was the one that went to Magic Mountain.  It made its way to the Georgetown Loop as a passenger car.  It was C&S reefer 1116.

1113/RGS 2101 is the one at CRRM.
So did Don Drawer from the Sundown and Southern get it from Ridgway?

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Jim Courtney
So what happened to 2102?

The RGS rebuilt 2102 (ex-C&S 1116) as an outfit car:

There was a 3rd C&S reefer obtained by Miller and sent to Ridgeway, C&S 1108. Per Sloan's Silver San Juan, this third reefer was to be renumbered RGS 2103, but was never re-lettered for the RGS, likely never used. It was sold in 1942 to the Chicago Freight Car Parts Co. for military narrow gauge service in WW2. I believe it was sent to Alaska for use on the WP&Y.

Here is a photo of RGS 2101, ex C&S 1113, showing off its C&S heritage.

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

If I remember correctly, Lindsey Ashby bought the Magic Mountain train for use on the Georgetown Loop. It was referred to by everyone who worked or volunteered there as "The Circus Train". When Ashby moved all his stuff off the property, it went to the CRRM, I don't know if it is still there or not. Ironic to think that Uncle Bob bought 2102 from the RGS and decades later it ended up, at least for a while, as part of the "Circus Train" at the CRRM. It may have been moved or sold, maybe years ago. So, yeah. Both survived. Sort of.

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Rick Steele
Jim,

The Book Silver San Juan was written by Mal Ferrell, not Bob Sloan.

Rick

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

Kurt Maechner
Does anyone know where C&S 1116/Grays Peak 15 is today?  It seems it went to the GLRR and then to the CRRM.  Is it back at GLRR?   Is there a roster of the GLRR cars anywhere online?

Re: Bob Richardson and C&S 1113

The Book Silver San Juan was written by Mal Ferrell, not Bob Sloan.

Of course it was, how stupid of me.