Baggage car numbers in 1887 era

Southpark
In working on our C&S project I need some help.  Any chance there was a baggage car numbered 264 or 383 in 1887.  Need the Ken Martin pro!  Thanks, Tom Klinger

Re: Baggage car numbers in 1887 era

Keith Hayes
Tom,

According to Hayes Hendricks site, http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/dsp-passenger/up-dlg_locator.htm, baggage cars in this period were numbered 1000-1002 (former DSP&P 40, 41, and 45, later C&S 102-104 and 1 and 2) and baggage-mail-express cars were numbered 1300-1302. I don't see any mention of any passenger cars numbered 264 or 383. Ever.

During this period car 64 was a coach (later C&S 77). There is also no 83 circa 1887. I also checked the excursion cars, and none of them appear to have numbers in this range?

Ken, what say you?

Re: Baggage car numbers in 1887 era

1887 was the year that the Utah Northern was standard gauged.

Any chance the two cars you reference were UN refugees, moved to Colorado (with all the returning South Park equipment that was loaned to the UN) until new permanent homes were found for the cars??

I can't find a Utah Northern passenger car roster, either pre 1885 or post 1885 UP renumbering. Perhaps the answer lies there.

Re: Baggage car numbers in 1887 era

Ken Martin
Tom,

I do not have any information on cars with those numbers. Nothing on the DSP&P.
Post 1885 UP renumbering the UN baggage were 1020-1023.
KC baggage were 1320-1322.
A glance at the  D&** roster doesn't show anything with those numbers.
So I am afraid I can't help you.

Ken Martin