"B-4-F" #73

I've mentioned the story of this model before. This is the one I found on eBay with no box, no tender, and an abused boiler, cab and pilot. Saved from the hammers of Ozark Hillbillys looking for beer money from scrap brass. I'd sold my original #73 during hard times and had been hoping to someday find another. Mine was the only bid on this engine at $125. Fortunately, the frame and running gear were OK, as it turned out. The same day, I lucked up again and found an 18' PSC tender body, the same type I had used for #537's tender, and also the Rotary. When these engines were produced, MS Models accepted a lot of the variations between #71, #72, and #73, but they wouldn't make a different tender for #73. So, I had my chance to make one. By this time, I had already built tenders for #537, Rotary 99200, and rebuilt tenders for #74, #75, and #76 after I narrowed the tanks. So this one was not difficult. First I found every picture I could of #73 and set to work with dimensions and detail photos of the OMI B-4-E tenders of #71 and #72 which I had not replaced in my collection yet, having sold them too. So, with the brass PSC tank and a handful of brass castings from PSC and strips of wood and a new 30" air tank at the rear which I made, this tender came to life. At one time, #73 was fitted with a backup light, but I chose not to use one here. That would have been an anomaly. Another #73 anomaly which I did include is the commonly found photo evidence that some wag had vandalized the Class identification on the cab sides as "B-4-F' from B-4-E". Check it out, what a hoot.

My final comment here is to keep your eyes peeled for parts, damaged models, and anything else you might want to squirrel away for future projects. Tender bodys or kits are a must if you see any. Even if they have flared tops like this one did, you can trim that off to fit your need as either an "Intermediate" or "Modern" tender. and don't be intimidated by building up a tender frame. I used a "spine" of 1/4" brass tubing to mount the trucks and drawbar pin. Let your imagination run, you'll be surprised what you can do.

Re: "B-4-F" #73

Keith Hayes
Terrific story,  Mike!