Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris Walker
I'm in a little bit of a quandary on posting this here.

During my ongoing Idaho Springs mining research I came across a photo, in a Library Collection that is Railroad subject non C&S nor predecessors, but another old favourite, the RGS.
I noted the subject matter was a very significant image of that piece of equipment's early history, one that has never seen the light of day in any of the multitude of books written on this very well known subject, and in my view really should see the light of day given that.

So, do I post this image here?

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris, I'm sure that would be fine, properly attributed. Thanks for asking. We'd all like to see it.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris Walker
Thanks Mike,

I thought this would have generated a discussion, given the number of views already???

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

I think your posting the image will probably get things going. Your post yesterday was intriguing, but vague.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Doug Heitkamp
Chris,

What are you waiting for????

LOL!
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris Walker
Doug Heitkamp wrote
What are you waiting for????
Well I'm hesitant to dilute this wonderful forum with the addition of not related to C&S / Predecessors material.....lest it open the floodgates.

Hence my desire to hear from the other major contributors on this matter.

1) I have a new take on an old picture, at Buena Vista, in DSP&P days but concerns the early D&RG item in it.  Never discussed material, but that is under the joint operating agreement time period. Passable content in my book.

2)  I have found this image, a totally off the beaten path photographer captured image of the RGS Motor #2, in Green, and before modifications etc. The historical importance of the image wasn't lost me; as it is not published in any of my 35+ books on the RGS, no recollection of having that image posted on the usual forums, with the rider of, I don't have the latest reprint of the Rhine Goose book nor do Facebook.  But my powers of recalling images are still with me.

So what say you all?

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Jim Courtney
Just do it, Chris!!

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris Walker
Jim Courtney wrote
Just do it, Chris!!
That's what nike said, but he who didn't want to be mentioned, emailed me advising "take it with you to your grave."

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Jeff Young
I like trains.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Paul R.
Just do it I like Trains too.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Ken Martin
If you won't post it here, post it on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum.

Ken

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Chris,

There is no taboo against posting other NG photos here. If Victor Miller had been successful in his attempt to take over the C&S South Park division with his proposed Denver Leadville & Alma railroad, we would have likely seen black and silver Geese climbing Boreas Pass and the Tenmile.

I'll help you get started. Here is a photo of RGS goose 2 in its first years:

(photo source unknown, shared with me by a friend)

So far, lightning hasn't struck . . . yet.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Well, Chris, I have been bestowed with the tile of Administrator here, and I have no fear of you using my name as having authorized it as long as it is properly attributed. Fire away, or don't, the choice is yours, and that's all that there is to it. Unless Daryl asks you not to. He outranks me, but I haven't heard from him about this.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Well dang don't that beat all Jim!

Mike,
the photo was taken by Dwight Lavender and was part of a personal album; he was the brother of the famed author David Lavender, who in 1976 with his book "Colorado" introduced this feller to that State.

for attribution, link to the Image
https://cudl.colorado.edu/luna/servlet/s/dc2g96

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Darel Leedy
I can't take the anticipation any longer. I'm going to go work in the garage

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Oooops! Sorry Chris, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Thanks for the attribution and the link to the collection. I found numerous Lachlan McLean glass plate images there, including two of my favorite photos, the best quality images that I've seen:

https://cudl.colorado.edu/luna/servlet/detail/CUB~28~28~146~293996:Mining-equipment-on-flatcar?qvq=q:%3DColorado%20%26%20southern%20McLean%20&mi=2&trs=76

https://cudl.colorado.edu/luna/servlet/detail/CUB~28~28~150~293992:Mining-equipment-on-flatcar?qvq=q:%3DColorado%20%26%20southern%20McLean%20&mi=1&trs=76

The other McLean images are good for several hours of browsing.

Thanks again!

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Very cool. I may contact these folks about donating my Dad's collection. Thanks!

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

No worries Jim,

you just saved me the bother, something I have intimated above, whilst trying to add to Jeff Taylor's request over on the NGDF.

I'd found the Goose picture a few years ago, was wowed over it at the time but quickly moved on.  Just that goose question raised brought back the memory.

As to the Lachlan McLean photos;  I had purchased a couple of images for my Mills of Fall River research only to later find out those had been included in the start of digitization of Lachlan's work.  Talk about one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing, especially annoying as the $ spent could have gone elsewhere here!!
Unfortunately they seem to have died in harness as none more have been done.  I have been assisting a Librarian there on correcting i.d. of some of the images so more to come in this saga if I live long enough.

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Jim Courtney
I have a new take on an old picture, at Buena Vista, in DSP&P days but concerns the early D&RG item in it.  Never discussed material, but that is under the joint operating agreement time period.

Don't forget to post and discuss this photo, Chris!

Re: Accidental Research Discovery: Off Topic.

Jeff Taylor
This post was updated on .
Thank you Chris and Jim for posting this photo and the link. What a treasure. This is indeed the earlies known photo of motor #2.
Having helped edit the latest revised version of Stan Rhine's "Tin Feathers" book I can tell you this image is not in it. Perhaps on the next revision it will be added.
12