Abandoned Rail

Randy Rieck
On Tuesday September 27 my wife and I made our annual hike from Hancock to Alpine Tunnel.  About half-way, we found an arrow drawn in the grade pointing to the downhill side and one word "Rail".  This message was probably left by a rail fan, maybe even a member of this blog. Looking over the side about 10-15 feet from the grade is a length of what I would judge to be 35 pound rail.
The rail between Hancock and Quartz was removed in 1923. Presumably, this length of rail has been there for 93 years.  You have to wonder why it was left behind?  See pictures below.

Here also is a picture of John Robinson removing his 2 foot gauge Plymouth Locomotive from Caboose Hobbies. The locomotive has gone to Silver Plume.

Sign

Rail

John Robinson

Re: Abandoned Rail

Bill Uffelman
A sad day to see an impact of the Caboose closure but glad John's loco found a home. I first saw it in his garage when it was a work in progress.
Bill Uffelman

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:47 PM, Randy Rieck [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tuesday September 27 my wife and I made our annual hike from Hancock to Alpine Tunnel.  About half-way, we found an arrow drawn in the grade pointing to the downhill side and one word "Rail".  This message was probably left by a rail fan, maybe even a member of this blog. Looking over the side about 10-15 feet from the grade is a length of what I would judge to be 35 pound rail.
The rail between Hancock and Quartz was removed in 1923. Presumably, this length of rail has been there for 93 years.  You have to wonder why it was left behind?  See pictures below.

Here also is a picture of John Robinson removing his 2 foot gauge Plymouth Locomotive from Caboose Hobbies. The locomotive has gone to Silver Plume.

Sign

Rail

John Robinson

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Abandoned-Rail-tp6344.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Abandoned Rail

Randy,
just below the Atlantic Siding in 92, I saw a length of rail down aways from the roadbed.

When I returned to the spot in '94 I saw that it had been shortened a small amount and attached to the cut end was a note from the Forest Service noting the location and warning anyone who wished to relieve the rail of anotther section of the penalties of doing so.  It seems that relics even of that recent age are considered Antiquities in your country.  I also wonder if it has been hauled up and over to lay at the Alpine Tunnel trackage restoration efforts.

I come from just above sealevel and marvel at the effort it must take to cut a section of 40lb rail by hacksaw at 11000+ ft.

Re: Abandoned Rail

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.