"Slow" sign on scrap train

Kurt Maechner
I've seen many photos of scrap trains on the C&S narrow gauge, but this is the only one I recall carrying a "slow" sign.  Does anyone have any idea what is was there for?  My only guess is for motorists at crossings to realize that the train was moving very slowly.  On the other hand, it seems there was a bit of 'for humor's sake' going on with scrap trains such as chalk markings on the engines.  Was this a sign picked up along the way and put on the engine for a little humor?

Kurt

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Southpark
The true question is, "what C&S fan has that SLOW sign today"?
Tom Klinger

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Kurt,

As the scrappers moved slowly east in Platte Canon, they not only pulled up the rail but all the right of way signs as well. I suspect that certain of the train crew stowed them on engine 71 to take home as souvenirs. There are several photos in the Klinger's books with number 71 festooned with a variety of signs, especially speed limit signs.

And Tom it is good to see you here again, glad you are well. In the second year of Covid I get nervous when people don't post for a while. Hear that Keith Hayes! And you John Greenly, are you doing okay?? What about the other South Park??

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Southpark wrote
The true question is, "what C&S fan has that SLOW sign today"?
Tom Klinger
Actually the real Question is.......

Just where was the SLOW restriction situated at?

Oh, and one more thing,

a long time ago when we had Vans on the rear, and I was on the shunt making up, I'd often drop off and chalk THE END on the rear dropstep plate.........because I just had to.

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Todd Hackett
Here's another view of it, this time passing under a telltale prior to crossing on a bridge. I'll be trying to identify locations of these photos soon, so if anyone recognizes this spot, please let me know. This was with the photos from the December 1936 Leadville trip, but I assume it was taken later than.

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Chris Walker
Outstanding image, thanks Todd.

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Todd Hackett
It looks like this is the bridge at Buffalo. That's the first spot I was going to check, but you saved me the trouble. This came with a bunch of photos that were apparently taken by someone who lived in Buffalo in the 1920s/1930s (names on the envelopes are Dan C. Davis, Jr., Mrs. Dan C. Davis Jr., and Catherine Davis), so while there was a lot of Buffalo area content a lot of the photos are clearly not from the area.

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

Jim, still here. We took a vacation, so I was out for a couple weeks.

There are many photos of the scrapping operation in C&Sng. The trains during this period were operated by the Scrapper using C&S crews under the Scrapper's employment. Kindig has a photo of 58--I think--in Breck with a D&RGW herald chalked on the tender. Other photos show a variety of signs in a number of locations on the locomotives. Though I have not personally witnessed a scrapping operation, I am guessing that it is a slow affair with considerable time for idle hands to...do things.

Re: "Slow" sign on scrap train

drgwcs
This post was updated on .
So which railroad are we on???
Came across this one that Keith mentioned while searching for something else. #58 on the scrap train at Bacon sporting a Rio Grande herald. Hand done in probably chalk but still not a bad job- pretty artistic for freehand drawing.  Looks like the possible start to a C&S one on the right??? Hey you get back to work.........stop goofing around.    DPL OP-6067
Jim

Jim Curran