C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

1234 ... 13

C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Every now and then readers here express interest in acquiring C&S brass models, perhaps when contemplating changing scales, like Fred's recent post. My friend Dale, normally a RGS fan, wants to dip his toe in the Sn3 C&S waters and is looking for some Overland B-4-Ds.

I created this thread so we can alert each other to C&S models that might turn up for sale on eBay (or that we are currently selling).
It seems a good way of understanding what various models in different scales were produced and what they cost these days.

First up, an Overland On3 C&S number 21, as she appeared about 1918.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-Overland-C-S-21-2-6-0-brass/323573316695?hash=item4b5678fc57:g:wMwAAOSwRWZb~uLk:rk:3:pf:0

If one added a Ridgeway spark arrestor she could be put to work on the Leadville passenger, perhaps all the way to Dickey. What do you think, Mike?

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
And here are a couple of older PFM 2-8-0s:

Mint:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOn3-United-Brass-Colorado-Southern-C-S-B-4D-2-8-0-Steam-Engine-Locomotive/163391107968?hash=item260ade7380:g:hFcAAOSwKV9b7Nwf:rk:1:pf:0

And a brass bashed approximation of Cooke number 47, c1910:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-United-HOn3-BRASS-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-2-8-0-CUSTOM-PAINTED-TENDER-DRIVE/264032492302?hash=item3d79901b0e:g:GSwAAOSwRDpb5kmJ:sc:USPSPriority!98370!US!-1:rk:4:pf:0

Looks to have a tender from the PFM 2-6-0. Might need a new paint job.

Both have tender mounted motors.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Darel Leedy
OK Jim. Here's one not offered on ebay, but on this forum only:

Overland Sn3 #70 ($500 shipped)

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Don Gustavson II
I post this as a reference for price.
I do not know the manufacture.
It was at the International Railfair model railroad show in Roseville Ca a few weekends ago.
http://www.internationalrailfair.com/
$500
On3

I will not change scales. But this sure did look nice.

HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

ComoDepot
 I have noticed book prices have gone down, wondered if anybody had noticed a trend in brass?

That too is an Overland. Someone got a smokin deal on that Don. Thanks.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
Here is an HOn3 Lambert Cooke 2-6-0:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOn3-BRASS-LAMBERT-C-S-2-6-0-COLORADO-SOUTHERN/273581447072?hash=item3fb2b997a0:g:iL4AAOSwcOZb72F2:rk:1:pf:0

As I recall, this was the first HOn3 C&S engine that was factory powered with a can motor.
The flat domes and 4-pane forward cab window say C&S number 6 to me.
I owned one back in the early 1980s. As I recall they were sturdy little engines. The tender shell is hollow, no interior details, but lots of room for a speaker and Tsunami-2 decoder.
But it certainly needs a Ridgeway spark arrestor.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Doug Heitkamp
Correction: I believe that the On3 C&S 21 is a United Models C&S 21/22.
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Oh yeah. I forgot about those. Silly because I’ve owned two of those. One of which I bought from Todd. Which I then sold to you!!  This getting old thing sucks
It was still a good deal.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Here is a Key C&S number 71:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOn3-painted-brass-locomotive-Colorado-Southern-C-S-2-8-0-B-4E-71-Key-Imports/163413232776?hash=item260c300c88:g:JagAAOSwZltcBerG:rk:1:pf:0

This was one of the first very detailed HOn3 C&S locomotive models, and the only B-4-E ever produced in HOn3.
I believe this was Samhongsa's first narrow gauge offering as a builder.
I owned one back in the late 1970's, it ran very smoothly as I recall, also with a can motor.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

SteveG
FWIW, I've picked up a number of C&S HOn3 brass engines from eBay over the past two years, and have definitely seen a drop in pricing, from an average of ~$425 each in 2017 down to $200 each in 2018.

Much as I'd like, I can't attribute it all to better bargain-hunting skills on my part.

Steve Guty
Redmond, WA

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Don, this is actually an ancient PFM/United C&S 2-8-0, appropriate for #12, #13, #21 or #22.

Great price, and can be made to be very nice with upgrades here and there.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Don Gustavson II
KEY IMPORTS - HOn3 C&S COLORADO & SOUTHERN 2-8-0 CONSOLIDATION #60
Starting bid:US $649.00
[ 0 bids ]

C&S #60 in very good condition with some very minor tarnish
Complete with box, foam, and details in great condition
Tested, runs smooth for it's age, very minor wheel wear, probably displayed
Key Imports probably did the finest detailing of any of the many brass C&S 2-8-0 #60
Includes ThinFilm Hon 114 C&S Hon Locomotive Decal
Appears to have never been on a layout
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-IMPORTS-HOn3-C-S-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-2-8-0-CONSOLIDATION-60/303014824098?hash=item468d1748a2:g:e6MAAOSwi6dcK4zi:rk:31:pf:0
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Great find, Don.

And if you want to put #60 on HOn3 display at Idaho Springs, there is also listed an Overland C&S coach 70: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OVERLAND-OMI-3176-HOn3-C-S-Colorado-Southern-Coach-70-73/303014018906

Or if you want to have number 60 pull freight, their is an HOn3 Precision C&S caboose 1006 also listed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-SCALE-15500-HOn3-C-S-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-4-WHEEL-CABOOSE-1006/303013963833

And for those On3 guys, like Robert, who like 1880's South Park equipment, there are two LMB Mason bogies listed:

2-6-6T as delivered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMB-On3-Brass-DSP-P-2-6-6T-Mason-Bogie-Mint-Condition/292894946199?hash=item4431e63397:g:VDAAAOSwJaxcJ85D:rk:19:pf:0

2-8-6T, late version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMB-Craftsman-Masterpieces-On3-Brass-DSP-P-2-8-6T-Mason-Bogie-Mint-Condition/292894952867?hash=item4431e64da3:g:pB4AAOSwlelcJ8~g:rk:18:pf:0

Unfortunately, should Robert like to buy one or both, he may have to take out a home equity loan . . .

As an alternative, Robert could consider this On3 Cooke 2-6-0 as delivered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-Brass-DSP-P-COOK-71-2-6-0-Locomotive-Tender-Master-Series-Japan/264091836920?hash=item3d7d19a1f8:g:jGYAAOSwvcFcFqV~:rk:48:pf:0

This Balboa Japanese import is so old it literally has moss growing on it!

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Don Gustavson II
Jim, I saw that Coach as well. It is tempting.
Also nice to see the Caboose. Not sure of the brand but I have a couple brass ones.
Will be interesting to see what they all go for.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
For you O scalers, there is a beautiful Overland On3 Cooke 2-6-0, early version, C&S number 5 listed, c.1910.

Add states it was pro-painted and weathered by Kelly Morris: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-On3-BRASS-OVERLAND-MODELS-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-2-6-0-5-PAINT-BY-KELLY-MORRIS/382714865505

Quite a few great photos of a gorgeous model.

I can only hope my Sn3 version turns out so well!

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jeff Young
Coach 74-76 (in HOn3) at BrassTrains.com:

https://www.brasstrains.com/classic/product/detail/101571

I have one of these (and I believe Jim does as well).  Lovely models; much better detailed than SoHo version.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

SteveG
Yeah, you can see what I'm pretty sure is the SoHo version here for comparison:
https://www.mycaboose.com/lists/179636

Steve Guty
Redmond, WA

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
For you HOn3 Clear Creek fans, there is an Overland HOn3 C&S 70, in its oil burner configuration up for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SUPER-DETAILED-HON3-OVERLAND-OMI-BRASS-2-8-0-OIL-BURNING-70-C-S-B-4D-HO-NG/283341613235?hash=item41f879e8b3:g:UtwAAOSwyTtcNme-:rk:28:pf:0

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Really? I've an S scale version available for half that price if anyone is interested
1234 ... 13